This soup sounds intimidating because of the number of ingredients, but trust me it is really simple once you have everything out. Simple and straightforward, this is one of those dinners that will clear out your sinuses and leave you feeling warm inside. It is also extremely easy to forget that this soup is allergy friendly. I made my first recipe video on this particular recipe, so I completely forgot to take pictures of the process. I will however post the link at the end if anyone is interested (thanks in advance for the support :))
What you’ll need:
- 2 tbs + 2 cups frying oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp chipotle pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup corn
- 5 + 6 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup butter substitute
- 1/3 cup unsweetened rice milk
- 2 cups shredded chicken
(2) Add in onion, bell peppers, and carrots. Stir.
(3) Add in chipotle powder, ground cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, and minced garlic. Stir to combine.
(4) Add in chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, and corn. Stir to combine.
(5) Add in 5 corn tortillas. Stir. Simmer 1 hour (or until thickened)
Cut up remaining 6 tortillas into strips and fry in 2 cups of hot cooking oil.
(1) whisk together butter substitute and unsweetened rice milk. Add to soup. (acts as a substitute for heavy cream)
(2) stir in shredded chicken. Simmer 5 minutes.
(3) Top with fried tortilla strips.
To watch the how to video click here: