If you make no other recipe from this site, try this one. Trust me. From the beginning of my allergy friendly journey, I have worked to find a macaroni and cheese recipe. No matter how many I tried, they just didn’t turn out how I wanted. At some point, I decided to cross a fettuccini base with dairy free American and cheddar cheeses to create this recipe. The sauce is so creamy and delicious that you will instantly forget that you are eating dairy free- I promise!
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 pound of pasta (can be store bought allergy friendly or homemade- I will post a link once I publish my recipe)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup butter substitute + 2 additional tbs set aside
- 1/3 cup unsweetened rice milk
- 1/2 cup provolone cheese substitute
- 1/2 cup American or cheddar cheese substitute
- 3/4 cup crumbled bacon (if desired)
- salt and pepper as needed
(1) melt the 10 tbs of butter substitute and combine with rice milk. whisk together and set aside in refrigerator (this acts as a substitute for heavy cream)
(2) boil pasta and set aside
(3) Melt the 2 tbs butter substitute in a sauce pan. Add in the onion powder and the garlic powder and whisk to combine.
(4) Add in the rice milk and butter substitute that you put aside and whisk it to combine. Turn down the heat to low and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
(5) After 5 minutes, add in both cheese substitutions and stir until they melt.
(6) Mix in the pasta and salt and pepper as desired.
(7) If it is too thin, add in some gluten free flour, if it is too thick, whisk in some extra rice milk.
(8) Top with bacon crumbles and serve.