When it comes to recipes, I think an all purpose batter is one of those staples that everyone should have. The prep work for this batter is a little extensive, but it is worth it; and, if your kids are anything like mine, they will love to get messy and help. With just a few tweaks in spices, this recipe can cover anything from chicken, to onions, to fried pastries. As an example, I will post instructions for chicken nuggets that have earned the label “puffy chicken” from my 3 year old, but I haven’t found anything yet that this batter doesn’t work for.
A light and airy batter that works within the confines of allergy restrictions? It can be done.
Items you’ll need:
- 3 cups gluten free 1:1 flour
- plus extra to dredge chicken
- 2 2/3 cup gluten free beer
- equivalent of 4 eggs worth of egg substitute
- any brand works fine
- 6 tsp baking powder
- 5 lbs chicken breasts
- preferred spices
- we use salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and chipotle powder
- preferred frying oil
- peanut oil and coconut oil both work well
- make sure you have enough to fry in whatever pan you are using
(1) cut and trim chicken into bite sized pieces
(2) whisk together beer, flour substitute, egg substitute, and baking powder until a batter forms. Because you are using gluten free flour substitute, you may have to add a little bit of extra beer or flour to get the right consistency- you are looking for the same consistency as a typical cake batter.
(3) dredge chicken bites in flour
(4) dip in batter
(5) Heat oil until it sizzles
(6) drop chicken bites in oil and fry until golden brown
Let cool and enjoy!
Onions work quite well in this batter as well